- By the year 2050, US population is projected to increase by at least
133 million people -- the equivalent of adding more than 38 cities
the size of Los Angeles. But if current trends continue, the nation's
population could double during the same period.
- This nation's total fertility rate, the average number of children
that a woman has during her reproductive lifetime, has risen to 2.1.
In the industrialized world, only Iceland and Ireland, both at 2.2,
are higher. What country has a negative population growth? Italy,
home of the vatican.
- Although 95% of global population is currently occurring in developing
nations, Americans place disproportionate demands on world resources.
- The consumption of a child born in the US, in his or her lifetime,
will have 30 times more impact on the Earth's environment than a child
born in India.
- The average American's energy use is equivalent to the consumption
of 3 Japanese, 6 Mexicans, 12 Chinese, 33 Indians, 147 Bangladeshis,
281 Tanzanians, or 422 Ethiopians.
- Human population in the US: 243,000,000